|"New" de Villiers - front|
|"New" de Villiers - interior|
I thought that I wouldn’t be able to keep all of the rest of 2014’s week on two pages diary and so set about creating monthly sheets which had a list of ‘things to do this month’ as the first side, a double-spread of month to view, then the last side for a review (four sides in total; two pages per month).
I also thought I might not have space to have my contacts on the rings and rummaged around to find a satellite address-book that could slot into a pocket in the binder. I found three – the pocket-filofax size one that came with the pocket flex, a filofax one I had been given that was Swedish (?) and which also slightly bizarrely seems to run in reverse order and have some extra letters, and a Paperblanks one that came with a diary and which is a bit of a tight fit.
|Satellite address book options|
In the end, I needed neither of these alterations! I had a good long look at what I carry around and wondered – do I really need to cart all this around with me?? The answer was no, and so I could fit all that I wanted onto the rings!
Things that have stayed and where they have gone:
- My cards – all in the ten slots in the front cover
- Stamps (tucked into the vertical pocket behind the cards)
- Plastic cover sheet to protect the pages
- To do sheets (see this post about the latest tweaks)
- Week to view diary (June to December, though still space for the whole year if needed I think)
- Today marker (in the current week for once!)
- Information tab
- Personal information sheets
- Books to look for
- List of OS maps we have
- A chart of my weight
- Addresses tab
- Lists of contacts
- Notes tab
- 5 sheets of paper
- Zipped pencil case with coins in it
- Paper money in the outer of the two vertical pockets in the back cover
|To Do now up front and in my face|
|...including reminders to turn the page!|
|...so I can see the next actions I should be doing!|
|Notes section tucked behind notes tab behind To Do|
|zipped pencil case from Tesco for coins|
|Paper money in vertical pocket|
Things that have not been moved across (all have been transferred to the planning filofax):
- General to-do sheet of big house-stuff things
- Notes from Rotary Committees (it is the end of the Rotary year and the information has gone into the report!)
- Year planner
- Important dates sheet
- Timetable pages (none of these last three things of these were filled in!)
- Information pages – web things to look for; general other notes no longer needed; list of shopping sites; list of apps to look at; names/contacts for getting logs; random other bits of information like meter readings; maps; packing lists
- Card holder
So what has changed in the de Villiers in comparison with the Baroque?
- All of the cards are in the inside left cover rather than there being six there and the rest in a card-holder on the rings at the back
- Up front (and in my face!) is my to-do list, with my next action sheet behind (see my last post for why this is here)
- The notes section is now behind the to-do
- The monthly sheets have gone (with the hope that their contents will get added to the to do lists a tad more regularly than the last few months)
- I have removed both the planner tab and the diary tab, since the Today marker is all that is needed
- Week on two pages is as it was (with the Today marker in the right place)
- There is a slimmed down information section behind the tab
- Addresses are as they were, behind the tab
- The zipped pencil case for coins has moved to the back so that when I open the planner, the to-do list is the first thing there
In summary, I have all my cards in, I have my paper and coins in (so wallet functions are covered); I have to-do, notes, diary, information and addresses in there (so planner functions are covered); it weighs ~30% less than the previous format. Oh, and it is blood-red (I realise this possibly only appeals to me...).
So, have I reached planner Nirvana?
The tabs stick out a bit beyond the cover, but nothing too drastic and there is no pen loop. However, I have ordered a Leuchtturm1917 pen loop in black which I will stick to the plastic cover sheet at the front.
Could this finally be planner heaven? I’ll keep you posted.