Tuesday 10 April 2018

"From Me to You"

As the title of the blog implies, I am a stationery fiend. I supply my habit in a number of ways, including getting an occasional subscription to Spotlight Stationery.

Part of the cost of each subscription is donated to charity and this year, the charity that has been chosen is "From Me To You". From Me To You encourages people to write letters to friends or family members who are suffering from cancer. It also has a "Donate a Letter" scheme where people can write to cancer patients who have requested a letter. I have joined the "Donate a Letter" scheme and last week, wrote several letters to be given to cancer patients, to show them that there are people (even strangers) who are thinking of them. You don't have to send long letters - even a card or a postcard will be welcomed.

This might sound like a really strange thing to do, but I love writing letters and I love receiving a hand-written letter too. Now, the donate a letter scheme only involves donating letters - you don't get any reply. You don't know who your letter has gone to. But I figured that if I love getting a letter, others would too. After all, you can choose to read a letter when you want (rather than a text which demands instant attention on your phone). You can re-read a letter time and again. A letter on real paper has taken time and effort and concentration and that alone can make it special. Obviously, if you are writing to a friend or family member, you do know who they are and you may get a reply.

When you sign up for the scheme, you get sent (by email) information about it all, including tips for letter writing, in case you don't know where to start or what to include, and sample letters, so you can see what others have written.

If you are a cancer patient, you can ask for a letter to be given to you and you'll get one of the donated letters.

I think this is a brilliant scheme and I hope you do too. Why not join in?

No comments:

Post a Comment