Saturday 25 January 2014

They don’t make aerogrammes any more!

Being one of those apparently rare beasts who write letters to friends with proper pens and proper paper and envelopes and all that, I was at the Post Office (PO) today, getting letters to overseas friends weighed and stamped. While I was there, I remembered that I used to use aerogrammes a lot and that I probably only had a couple left and that they would be cheaper than the letters I was sending. I asked at the PO if they sold them there (it’s a small PO so doesn’t always stock everything the main PO does). The lovely lady there told me they would have had them except that Royal Mail have stopped producing and selling them.

What???

Apparently no-one uses them any longer, and I have to confess that I haven’t used one for a couple of years or so. But I loved them! I had a friend in Japan and I have very small writing and I could easily fit a whole month of ‘news’ to him on a single aerogramme.

I wonder if I can effectively make my own using A4 air-mail paper? Mind you, that’s as hard to find as hens’ teeth it would seem.

Anyone else remember aerogrammes? Anyone else sad to hear of their demise?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that is a shame! I used to use them to write to my penpal in Japan years ago :)

    ReplyDelete